Monday, October 6, 2008

And then the Argentina Navy showed up!

Just when I thought I was getting a little bored......

Now I am a pretty sensible girl who generally stays away from all things military and is not overly moved by the site of a uniform. Now that being said......I do have to admit to being really excited when I heard a whole ship of Argentinian sailors just docked in the harbor and would be in wellington for an entire week! Pitter patter went the heart strings!!! Maybe it is a programing thing because the first guy I fell in love with here in Wellington was from Argentina. But whatever the cause, I knew it would be an interesting week :)
At first there was the buzz and excitement but none of the sailor s were spotted about town. then we you'd hear about people seeing them in this place or that but never where I was! I swear they would be in a coffee shop the same day as me but an hour later! Urrgghh! I refused to hang around the dock like some wharf rat but still I really wanted to meet them! Then came the chance! My wonderful LA (littlest Argentinean) told me that on Friday night there was to be a party on the ship with a tour, lots of wine and lots of sailors! Now to convince my female friends to go with me. Now they are lovely girls but not the brave soul I am ......with the exception of Scottish. However, Scottish is in a relationship currently with the male version of herself and reasoned that a ship of South American sailors might not be an appropriate place for her. So, I grabbed some white wine and proceeded to pour some for my non brave friends as I detailed the many virtues of my plan for boarding the ship! A bottle and much later we where ready to go!
As soon as we hit the gang plank there were a group of officers cheering us! Oh my! Maybe I wasn't as brave either! However, we pushed on and soon we were whisked away for a complete tour of the ship! Then we were taken to the officers lounge for some excellent malbec and salsa music! Wow could those officers dance! There was one tall, handsome one that really showed me some excellent salsa moves that I won't forget ;) I have to say that they were also some of the most gentlemanly men I have ever met! A credit to the Argentina Navy! I really enjoyed myself and ended up not saying adios until 6:30 am!!! A great night all around and was very sad to see them sailing off the next day!!

No comments: