Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wellington : Where the Heart Is!



After a longgggggggggg bus journey from the East Coast, I arrived tired and hungry to Wellington. It was night and the backpacker looked dodgy but I figured it was temporary and was too tired to care. After a very uneventful night of sleep, I decided to try another part of the city and backpacker. Surely I remembered there was a Base in Wellington (a sister hostel to the place I stayed in Auckland). Also I had heard about a colorful section of town called "Cuba Street." I packed up, slung it all on my back and trekked across town!
Not only do I find the Base hostel, but a whole city filled with eclectic people and crazy places to shop and go out! This was the character that Auckland was missing. People with mohawks and dyed hair! Pubs, clubs, and weird little resturants that served everything you could think of! YEAH! I was reminded of a smaller version of San Fran or the weird parts of Seattle! The Base immediately felt like home and even were offering a free place to stay in return for a few hours of work a day! I met the housekeeping manager, Hernan (my first encounter with the vast Argentenean and South American population in New Zealand) and told him I could work for two weeks before I headed to the South Island. He said, "Start right now and you have a free place to stay tonight!" Thus started my new phase! Housekeeping!!!!!!

No comments: