Thursday, August 28, 2008

Where the Heart is Part 2

My first day in Wellington I am put to work in an 8 story hostel in housekeeping! Right away my manager decides I will be efficient and a fast learner. He puts me in the care of another Argentinean worker (his second in command) and thus without realizing it, changes forever my New Zealand adventure and my future plans!

This Argentinean (who I will refer to H.A. for 'hot argentinean") was really nice, a bit quiet but immediately worked at putting me at ease and making me feel like a part of the team. He apologized for his English, introduced every member of the team with a little funny side note about them and showed me how to make a proper bed. His Bambi lashes and quirky little smile tugged immediately at my heart strings. Oh no! He joked around with me and tried to teach me a few words in Spanish as we worked. On our break he again tried to make me feel at ease and asked about my life in the US. I discovered that most of the workers were from South America (Argentina and Brazil) and that I would be listening to many conversations in Spanish from now on!

HA continued to be nice to me and I learned to make friends with the people I was living and working with everyday. My first official friend was a crazy Dutch girl who was only 18 but so confident and hilarious I thought of her as my age! She introduced me to the Wellington night life and showed me where all the best hang out spots were! She left me after a week but with a healthy start. I eventually excepted an invitation over to HA's house for a party for a former worker and was thrown into even more friendships. That was the party that confirmed my attraction to HA and made me determined to pursue him. However, I managed to get the reputation as being very quiet and to myself and they all thought I abstained from alcohol!!! (I know this is odd but I was trying really hard to be a super good girl for some reason).

Over the next week I realized I was going to stay longer than 2 weeks and would most likely stay one or two months! I made so many friends! Then the next party happened! I not only showed I can be loud, vivacious and a consumer of alcohol but also a pretty big flirt! There are many pics of me laughing and hanging on HA that night! Turns out he had a crush on me from the beginning and was over joyed to find I felt the same! YEAH! Thus starts the first of my Wellington love stories!
For a glorious month and a half I had a great relationship with HA! I realized I was going to have to stay in Wellington because there was no way I could go back to the US now. Plus, I met some REALLY incredible women! Had a cool Englishgirl who saw me through the 1st phase of my HA obsession but left me soon after the start. However, she was replaced by crazy Canadian #1 and the love of my life Scottish!
CC #1 and Scottish are two of the best going out buddies a girl could ask for and party like no others! They are MANIACS on the dance floor and always good listeners! Even though I am sure I was boring talking about the same boy all the time! We had some insane nights out, dancing until dawn (I mean this literally) and earning a reputation quite different from my previous one in Wellington! Now we were the CRAZY girls that you never knew what they would do next.......

No comments: